Vegan Chicken* Tikka Masala Gluten-free

The original plan for this recipe video was a vegan version of the Indian Butter Chicken dish. After I set up the camera and pulled out the ingredients I realized… I forgot to purchase the butter*. I went scavenging through the door of my refrigerator where all condiments, additives, and partially opened packages live, in hopes of finding a “diamond in the rough”, lol. I found what felt like an empty container of smart balance vegan butter, to my surprise there was just enough to fill a little spoon, as you see in the beginning of the video. I figured that if I made the sauce, in its entirety, and finished it with that little spoon of butter… “Bam! Butter Chicken”.  It wasn’t until after I’d taken the final picture of the dish that I noticed the small spoonful of butter sitting on my small side table to the left of my demo table… Ugh, lol. After I laughed at myself for a few seconds I decided to call this a Vegan Chicken Tikka Masala. It was so delicious family, you MUST try this :)

The cooking procedure in this recipe is tailored to the gluten-free mock chicken. If you are using any other mock meat: gardein, seitan: You may further cook the mock meat in the prepared sauce. The gluten-free mock meat can be cooked in liquid so long as the rice paper is used as a mock skin. Even then, no longer than a 10 boil. Baking this mock meat or frying it is ideal. Without the rice paper skin the gluten-free mock meat will need to be fully cooked using a dry heat cooking method: baking or frying. Afterwards the gluten-free mock meat may be tossed in sauce and served immediately.  If you cook gluten-free mock meat in liquid, you will run the risk of the potato starch absorbing the moisture of any given sauce and the meat-like texture will be compromised, taking on a gluey finish.

Vegan Chicken* Tikka Masala
2-1/2c Mock Chicken* ( large dice )
1c Tomatoes (diced, approximately 1 extra large tomato)
1ea Jalapeno (medium, seeded)
1” ea Ginger (fresh, peeled)
3ea Garlic cloves
3/4c Coconut Milk
1T Garam Masala
1/2t Cumin
1/2t Chili Powder
1ea Vegetable Bouillon
Salt tt
Pepper tt
2T Canola Oil

In a large sauté pan heat oil on medium high heat. Add mock chicken and cook through. Set aside and keep warm.

In the same saute pan, brown garlic, jalapeno, and ginger on medium high heat. Add tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down. Add spices, bouillon and continue cooking. Once tomatoes have browned and macerated add coconut milk/cream.

Cool slightly and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve for a velvet smooth texture. Pour sauce over top of hot mock chicken and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts